How to Find a CPAP Mask for Side Sleepers
So you have found the perfect CPAP machine. Now what? You need as perfect of a mask for you! The right CPAP machine is only half of the way to the best CPAP therapy you can get. The mask plays a significant role in your therapy too. If you use the wrong mask, you could run into many problems, such as leaks and pulling off your mask during sleep, which could result in failure of compliance.
Here, we will discuss how to find the perfect CPAP mask for side sleepers. 63% of Americans sleep on their sides. Because there are so many side sleepers, you may expect that finding a fitting CPAP mask for side sleepers would be easy. However, there are many factors that you should take into consideration.
- Smaller masks such as a nasal pillow or a nasal mask is a better mask for side sleepers. The bigger masks, such as a full face mask, could press against your pillow when you’re sleeping on your side, creating the possibility of mask leaks.
- Likewise, an inflexible mask may create leaks as it presses against your pillow. You would benefit much more from masks that conform to your face using materials like memory foam.
- A bulky frame would be uncomfortable, because it would press into the side of your head. Opt for a thinner and less bulky frame.
With these considerations in mind, here are some examples of a mask for side sleepers:
- ResMed AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow Mask
- The Flexi-Tube is light and durable, allowing you to move around with ease without breaking the mask seal.
- The nasal pillow compresses up and down like a trampoline to maintain the seal, so mask leaks won’t be a problem when sleeping on your side.
- The headgear is very stretchy for extra comfort. It is easier to put back on when you come back from the bathroom in the middle of the night.
- ResMed Mirage Activa Nasal Mask
- The ActiveCell technology lets you move more during your sleep without significant mask leaks and without having to tighten the headgear.
- The mask cushion is inflatable, allowing for more comfort as a side sleeper.
- The forehead support pads are bendable to fit your face shape.
- ResMed AirTouch F20 Full Face Mask
- The UltraSoft Memory Foam conforms to contour your face and maintains a good seal, while decreasing irritation to your face and nose.
- You can switch out the cushions based your preference between the AirTouch F20 Memory Foam and the AirFit F20 InfinitySeal Cushion.
- Fisher & Paykel Opus 360 Nasal Pillow Mask
- The 360 degree pivotal ball and socket elbow that will let you move around in your sleep. The hose also goes over the top of your head, so that the hose won’t get tangled around you when you are sleeping on your side.
- The Slim-line design lets you sleep in any position.
- The mask frame contours your face to minimize leaks.
- The Silicone pillows allows for a better seal.
CPAP mask home try on kit
Now that you have an idea of a good mask for side sleepers, you should try them on before you purchase them! Many CPAP users report that they have to repeatedly change their mask because it just doesn’t work for them. Fortunately, Health Sqyre offers a CPAP Mask Home Try On Kit that you can use. All you have to do is take a quiz so that our algorithms and mask specialist can help you find the best masks for you. We’ll send you two masks in your Home Try On Kit, and you will have 30 days to use it in your own bed with your pressure settings. After you determine the best mask, send the other one back to us, and you’re all set for a better CPAP therapy! For more information, read our post on how it works.